Friday, March 2, 2012

What DKG means to me: Hope Hebert, Alpha Epsilon, Southwest District


 My name is Hope Stoute Hebert and I was initiated into the Alpha Epsilon Chapter of Delta Kappa Gamma on September 26th, 2007.  It was such an honor to be asked to join this organization by my third grade teacher, Juliette Langlinais.  I was thrilled that she thought I would be an asset to the Alpha Epsilon Chapter.  On that day my life would change forever.  Just eight months later I would be elected to be President of Alpha Epsilon and I took on the job with a smile and lots of enthusiasm.  I guess I did a good job because I was elected to be President again.  I have to say it has been an extraordinary experience to be President for two bienniums, and a job I have thoroughly enjoyed every second of the four years I have been President of our Chapter.  I was able to host a District Meeting, go to three State Conventions, present at a State Convention, attend Bea Davis Leadership training, attend many District Meetings, serve on the State Membership Committee, and Chair the State Personal Growth and Services Committee.  I have been a busy girl but this came with many rewards.  Personal Growth, confidence, new friendships, a bond with fellow educators, and quality time with women who have influenced my life to make me all that I am today are just a few of the rewards.  I have three beautiful daughters and a husband who are very supportive of what they call my extracurricular activities.  I give a lot of time to Delta Kappa Gamma and the Junior League of Lafayette.  I know the girls admire my volunteer service and offer to help often with tasks for meetings and events.  I feel that they are learning a valuable lesson on giving back to community, education, and being of service to others.  I want them to be proud of the things I do, just as I am proud of all their accomplishments.  Time is a challenge for me but I have learned to manage it well over the past few years.  I just always remember to put family first and then the rest just falls into place.  I have an overwhelming feeling of accomplishment when I think back on the past five years as a member of Delta Kappa Gamma.  Wow, the places I’ve been, friends I’ve made, and opportunities I’ve had have been tremendous.  I truly love this organization and I can’t wait to see what the future in it will bring my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment