Thursday, March 1, 2012

What DKG means to me: Donna Adams, Beta Sigma, Central District

I am Donna Adams. In 2004, I was initiated into the Beta Sigma Chapter of Delta Kappa
Gamma in Leesville. A year later, as a result of my husband retiring from Active Duty
in the US Army, my family moved back home to North Carolina. I soon transferred my
membership to the Beta Upsilon chapter of North Carolina. At our September 2005
meeting, I shared with our members about the devastation Hurricane Rita had caused in
Leesville just a short time after Hurricane Katrina had displaced many families to
Leesville. The true heart of Delta Kappa Gamma was shown to me that day as the women
took up a donation (of just over $500) to send to my former chapter, Beta Sigma, to be
used to supplement their efforts in the community's time of need. What a great
example of how the members of Delta Kappa Gamma members truly live up to the first
purpose of our society: To unite women educators of the world in a genuine spiritual
fellowship. I have since returned to Beta Sigma, an important part of my “home” in
Leesville where I currently serve as our chapter’s 1st Vice President. Our chapter
donates underclothes and school items to each school in the parish, sponsors
a "Bunnies and Books" program for homeless families in our parish, supports a
graduating senior who is majoring in education, and recognizes its members for school
and community activities. I am blessed to be a member of a group of educators who
truly care about each other, the children in our school system, and the people in our
community.

No comments:

Post a Comment