Friday, December 2, 2011

Epsilon District Directors Series Part 1: NE Dr. Stacy Potter

My name is Stacy Potter and I am the NE District Director. I am a member of Theta Chapter in Ruston and currently work as a Mathematics Instructor at Louisiana Tech University. I am originally from upstate New York. This is my third time living in Louisiana and it is the best because I met my wonderful husband (after giving up men). We have two beautiful children, April (3 1/2) and Jacob (2 1/2). My Bachelors and Masters Degree is in Secondary Mathematics Education from Mansfield University in Pennsylvania and SUNY Cortland in New York. I received my Doctorate in Curriculum and Instruction with a concentration in Instructional Technology from Louisiana Tech University in 2005. As for how I got to Louisiana, here is the short version. After graduating with my Bachelors, I moved further south in Pennsylvania and found a newspaper article asking for teachers in Bastrop, LA. With 6 inches of snow in NY and 70 degrees in LA, I moved to Bastrop. After a year, I moved to Kentucky and was a customer service phone representative for Staples (the office supply store). From there, I moved to Bernice, since they had been through four math teachers in a matter of four weeks. I worked for 1 1/2 years and then financially couldn't afford to live there. My mom asked me to move back home, which I did, and obtained my Masters Degree. It was too cold there, so I moved back to Bernice, taught a year, and then obtained my current job at Louisiana Tech University. I have been there for 12 years. I feel that I am home and that God has placed me here for a reason. I believe one of those reasons is my family and the other is to help educate the students at the university to the best of my knowledge. God has blessed me in so many ways that I cannot count them all, but He is first and formost in my live. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith – and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God – (NIV) Ephesians 2:8

No comments:

Post a Comment