30 chapters have projects that support excellence in education and below are some of the projects within the chapters:
1) Zeta Chapter is providing small "gift packs" to teachers and staff at C.E. Byrd High School in Shreveport and Keithville Elementary/Middle School in Keithville. This includes a total of about 280 people. Our effort is to encourage and show appreciation to educators for their efforts in our profession.
(2) "Top female graduate project recognizes senior girls with highest GPA in class
Keagan's Center After-School Tutoring Program-donated money, school supplies/snacks
Literacy Project - donated books (Pre-K - 5th grade) to the local Parent Center
Red Apple Award (non-member recipient) & Gold Apple Award (member recipient)
Maude Anderson Grants ($300 each) - presented to two parish female student teachers"
We presented a gift card to a Teacher of the Year from our Parish.
"Our chapter sponsors a scholarship to a local woman pursuing an educational degree."
(3) Eta uses funds from an annual auction to support two endeavors which promote educational excellence. First, we support Broaden Horizons. This group provides academic tutoring and personal mentoring to at-risk pre-teens and teenagers, with a strong emphasis on African-American males. Next, we support the University of Louisiana at Monroe Child Development Center (ULM-CDC). The director of the ULM-CDC is a member of Eta. The CDC promotes early childhood learning for an ethnically diverse student population and aids in the education of pre-service educators.
(4) "We give $100 Teacher Grants to be used by new teachers to purchase classroom materials.
(5) We work closely with the New Teacher Induction Coordinator as she provides professional development to new teacher. In August, our chapter assisted with the New Teacher Orientation session. Wearing our red Delta Kappa Gamma shirts, we were introduced to the group, we provided an afternoon snack, gave eight lucky winners an educational supply basket, one lucky winner a $50 Wal-mart gift certificate. Our sisters offer support to these new teacher by giving them our phone numbers through the coordinator for special assistance throughout the year.